N 31° 03.936 W 093° 30.716
Just 18 miles west from Leesville is the Sabine River crossing ghost town of Burr’s Ferry, named for Dr. Timothy Burr, cousin to 3rd Vice President Aaron Burr, who built a home here in the early 1800’s.
Burr’s Ferry was a point on the Sabine River where invasion by Federal forces was expected during the Civil War. Extensive breastworks were thrown up, and these may be seen today north of Louisiana Highway 8 a short distance from the bridge.
It was never a bustling city, but the relative importance of the town in the period from 1850 until 1910 was considerable when compared with its status today. It has no school, no post office, no commercial enterprise except for a small restaurant on the bank of the river.
Nearest Geocache Listing: GC2F3PM
This Tag is growing. See our overview of geoLa Waypoints here.